Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year in Review

It is hard to believe that another year has gone by and that I am writing my last blog post of 2010. It has certainly been a busy year filled with a lot of wonderful memories and a few sad ones.

The year started out right with the purchase of our new farm in January. As you might recall we had been looking for land to purchase for about 4 years, and at one point even strongly considered purchasing a farm in Lexington, KY simply because real estate was so much more affordable there as compared to here. However the thought of Lexington winters were more than I could handle and I am so glad we held out as I LOVE the property we bought.

Few people in our area will ever forget the epic flood that happened in the spring. Downtown Nashville was literally under feet of water as were many surrounding communities. We suffered no ill effects at all from the flood but the same cannot be said for many of our friends and neighbors and flood clean-up still continues today.

Without question the saddest part of our year was the loss of our resident Buffy. Buffy was a beautiful mare and a big part of our family here. I have found over the years that it becomes harder and harder to lose a resident, not easier. Instead of learning how to cope you learn how much the loss is going to hurt and haunt you. It never gets easier, just worse. We still miss you Buffy.

Without question one of the most memorable and exciting days of 2010 was the day we moved the first group of horses to the new farm. I think about that day often. Jason and I were so excited to finally be starting the process we had been anticipating for years when we began the property search. The fact that it went so smoothly was the icing on the cake. To say that it was fulfilling to watch the Big Boys grazing contentedly in their new pasture would be an understatement.

Another memorable day was in October. Our friends Chris and Erica were married at the farm. Lots of horses and dogs invited themselves to the wedding and in my opinion the whole day was perfect.

Of course nothing is more fun than greeting new residents. We welcomed some new faces to the farm this year and that is the best part of this job by far!

Over all 2010 has been a year that has brought Jason and I so many things to be thankful for. We can only hope that 2011 can be comparable to 2010. When I sit back and think about it I can't believe sometimes that is is my life. To think that a few years ago I was miserable in corporate life (amazing how one can be successful at something yet so unhappy at the same time) and dreaming daily of a different life as I looked out the window of my corner office wishing I were just about anywhere else but there. And here I am.

I hope everyone has a fun and safe New Year's Eve tomorrow. The next blog post will come in 2011!!


Stormy and Tiny showing us their stress levels with dueling yawns


Chili, Fuzzy, Murphy and Boo

Slinky

Noble

Lightening and Lucky

Murphy and Stormy chatting over the fence

Rampal and Johnny love to play

Grand and Tony
Homer and Leo

Apollo, Ivan, Trigger and Thomas

Thomas rolling while Ivan and Tony graze

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Congrats on so many milestones in 2010!

Anonymous said...

A very happy New Year to you and Jason and all the beasts!

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Happy New Year to you both! Hope this year is as fruitful as last!