Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The List Keeps Growing

Last week was a very busy week. So far this week it has been slightly less busy, yet regardless of how hard we work the to-do list keeps growing. As I said to a friend of mine over the weekend "that ain't right." 

Although I am exhausted yet again this evening I am also slightly giddy as I relish the thought that I did my last body clip of the spring today. I have body clipped eight horses over the last four weeks. That doesn't seem like a huge number as I type it, however I have a lot of hours into these body clips at this point. When most of your victims subjects are  making it very clear that a bath (usually a double bath) and a body clip were absolutely, positively not on their list of things to do that day it can make for some fun times. I have lost count of how many poop piles I have cleaned up, how many screams have been trumpeted in my ear, and how many times my victim subject and I did our own version of the tango in the cross ties.

Sebastian wrapped up the spring 2014 body clipping brigade today


Although it seems like I just finished the spring mane taming project yesterday I spent several hours today starting round two of mane maintenance. Not only does hoof growth accelerate at this time of year, mane growth seems to move into warp speed. As I trudged through the pastures chasing down unwilling participants I had an inner dialogue with myself. 

Me: Self, why do you do this? You hate doing manes, just let them grow. It doesn't matter.

Me:  I hate the look of unpulled manes. Hate it, hate it, hate it. 

Me: Self, which do you dislike more? The look of unpulled manes are actually wrestling with the manes?

Me: I don't know, I hate both of those things. 

Me: Self, hate is a strong word. 

Me: Yes I know.

I went around and around with myself and really tried to talk myself into letting the manes grow. Thus far, despite my absolute loathing of mucking around with manes, I am still unable to convince myself to just let them go.

Needless to say after spending a day working on manes and body clipping horses I was covered in horse hair from head to toe. In example number 999 as to why Jason and I would make terrible neighbors I actually took my clothes off outside when I was done this evening and then ran straight to the shower. Yes, TMI I know. However it would be even worse if we lived in a subdivision, then it would be serious TMI for our poor neighbors. On that note I will say goodnight. 

_____________________________


Sam, Johnny and Lighty


Lightning and Lucky


Traveller and MyLight



Chance and Leo


Lofty and Silver


Romeo and Flyer


Stormy and Bergie


Duesy and Bruno


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

If god is willing, sugar is gonna retire with you... I think you're fantastic!

foffmom said...

You made me laugh. Last week, I found my husband's pants in the living room, draped over the chair. I told him this was the best argument I had for finally getting shades in the living room windows! We live in the country, so need has been minimal.