Saturday, September 13, 2008

What Would Happen?

I was talking with one of our clients the other day about some pretty serious health problems she is facing. As often happens we form a friendship with our clients as we become e-mail and/or phone buddies as we keep in contact about the horses. I knew something was going on in her life as I had left her a couple of messages about needing some things ordered for her horse.

Like any true horse person, even though she didn't have the energy to phone or e-mail back, she did make sure the things her horse needed made it here. But the fact that I hadn't heard back from her, just received the requested items, told me something out of the ordinary was happening in her life. I connected with her on Friday and she filled me in on the very serious health issues she has been dealing with, as well as the upcoming procedures and treatments she will be dealing with.


I'm not going to discuss her health issues publicly except to say that they are of a very serious nature and that she had no warning that there was such trouble brewing with her health until all hell broke loose. I wish there was something more that I could do for her aside from saying "oh my gosh, I am so sorry, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help." Realistically there isn't anything that I can do to help since she lives several states away. So we will give continue to give her horse the best care we can and include her in our thoughts and prayers. It isn't much but it is the best we can do.


During our conversation she said "I know this will sound morbid but I've updated my will so that will be taken care of and his board will continue to be paid should something happen to me. " Quite frankly I did not find that to be morbid at all and appreciated her candor with me.


We are contacted a few times a year by people who are doing estate planning and including their horses and other pets in their planning. I know we have been written into a few wills and trusts and that should these people die before their horses do that their horses will come here and there is a trust to pay their board. Of course if your horses are sound and rideable then your estate could easily sell them and/or place them into good homes. On the flip side if your horse is unsound, older, or has health issues that need daily management there really needs to be a plan in place for them.

I realize this post is a bit of a downer and not much fun, but I feel this is an important topic and one we all need to think about.


On a lighter note, this little guy was hanging out behind the barn today. He was chowing down on a bunch of leaves.
Stretching for a leaf

He wolfed this leaf down in about 2 seconds; then he realized I was interested in him and hopped away

Cloudy, our fearless barn cat, was only a few feet away and falling down on the job. He never even noticed the rabbit.

1 comment:

MsFoxy said...

Not morbid at all....I have been meaning to get an upgraded life insurance policy to allow for horse costs for the next 20 years. My mare is only about 10 and has both physical and other issues that would make finding her a new home.....shaky at best and a death sentence at worst.

I just have not gotten around to it......