Thursday, February 20, 2014

Busy - but Warm!

We knew this week was going to be busy as we had days booked with both the farrier and the dentist. When you are scheduling appointments for February the saying that comes to mind is "life is like a box of chocolates and you just never know what you are going to get." Our last couple of farrier days were less than ideal thanks to the charming weather brought to us courtesy of polar vortexes. Those definitely were not days when I was thinking about how awesome it was to work outside.

Yesterday and today were stellar though. In fact the whole week has had glorious weather so far. I don't know anyone who would complain about mid 70's and sunny after rounds 1, 2 and 3 of polar vortexes. Both yesterday and today we opted to work outside rather than inside a barn. No one was interested in being under a roof on a warm, sunny mid-70's day in February. I will admit by the end of the day I was unintentionally doing a spot-on impersonation of Medusa thanks to the wind. It was quite unsettling when I saw myself in a mirror (but thankfully there were not real snakes in my hair) this afternoon and somewhat painful when I brushed my hair, but it was a worthwhile trade-off for not being cold. 

Here's to hoping that I will never, ever hear the term polar vortex again. 

__________________________________

No one wanted to work inside when it was 70 degrees and sunny so we worked outside. Miracle having her hooves trimmed.


Jason took this picture of me because I only had one shirt on instead of the usual 4 layers I have been sporting lately. Timbit, Sarky and Griselle are behind me waiting their turn with the farrier.


Timbit wanted to be the center of attention



Moe having his teeth floated


Homer having his teeth done


Chance had his turn with the dentist as well


Calimba and MyLight grooming


Oskar and Largo grooming


Dolly and Silky napping; note Silky's drooping lower lip


Norman and Cinnamon


foggy morning on the farm


Renny and Dutch waiting for breakfast


Stormy


Rocky napping in the morning sun


Lighty and Sebastian were having play time



2 comments:

An American in Tokyo said...

Glad to hear you are staying warm!! =)

Miracle looks so tiny next to Jason!! Or is Jason really tall?? I never really thought about it until I saw that picture!

Awww, Timbit!! Big hugs to you!!

EvenSong said...

Miracle looks wonderful! But, as the above poster said, she looks tiny. How old is she now? What are your plans for her? Will you eventually start her under saddle? She would make a nice"move up" horse for Carter, when he outgrows Timbit!
Also, that's an interesting rig the dentist has. Does it just give the horses a place to lean, or is there more to it? My vet uses his stocks for teeth work, which is good, 'cause Kate was so out of it last time that she would have fallen over, had she not been supported!