Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Eclipse


Unless you have been living under a rock you probably know that we had a solar eclipse on Monday. We happened to be right in the perfect path for the eclipse. At our farm it was not quite a total eclipse but very close, about 98%. Just a few miles north of us in Nashville it was a total eclipse.

Jason, Carter and I enjoyed watching the eclipse. I'm sure everyone will be disappointed to know that none of the horses, cats, cows, goats or dogs noticed that there was anything happening. The eclipse happened in the afternoon, when the horses are either taking their afternoon siestas in the woods or are out grazing. If they were having their siesta they kept relaxing, if they were grazing the kept grazing. None of the animals noticed or cared. Since Monday was a hot, sunny day (perfect for eclipse viewing as there were no clouds) I do think they enjoyed the extra shade and the few degrees drop in temperature.

The only things Jason and I noticed around/during totality were the birds got a lot quieter, we heard a couple of frogs, and we saw two confused lightning bugs. Other than that there were no animals that were spooked, worried, or that even noticed it was happening.

The great American Eclipse of 2017 was largely a non-event at Paradigm Farms.

It was very awkward trying to take pictures of the eclipse through my eclipse glasses, so this is the one and only picture I took of the eclipse.

I think Oscar enjoyed the unexpected shade on the front porch during the eclipse 

MyLight and Calimba

Cocomo and Asterik wondering if I might have any food

Maisie and Dawn

Cisco and Baby

Wilson and Rocky

Gus, Roho and Sushi

Flyer and Gibson

Timbit trying to pull Traveller's feedbag off his head . . . 

Timbit giving me the innocent look ("I was just standing here, promise") and Traveller saying "help me, get this thing away from me"

Rip and Grand

Lofty and Donneur

Hesse and Baner

Light, Happy and Mick . . . 

. . . followed by Sebastian . . . 

. . . followed by Nemo and Digby

No comments: