Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Let it Snow

This past Friday you might recall that the schools were closed for no reason at all. I think closing on a forecast is silly myself as so often no winter precipitation materializes. We had another "snowstorm" predicted for Tuesday night and Wednesday with projected accumulations of 1-3 inches (2.5cm-7cm). To Carter's delight the snow actually materialized this time. We came in at the low end of the forecast with about an inch of snow, maybe an inch and a half in the "drifts." In Carter's world the only downside to our snow is that it is very light and powdery. It is impossible to make a snowball, much less a snowman. The snowman dream continues to remain unfulfilled.

This winter snowstorm has so far closed the schools for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'm running a betting pool for Friday and bets are split 50/50 between open and closed on Friday. It is supposed to be slightly warmer tomorrow at 40 degrees and sunny, so what's left of our snow should start melting rapidly.

The weekend is bringing us a projected 60 degrees which will feel heavenly after the last couple of weeks. I thought I lived in the south but it certainly hasn't felt that way. I came *this close* to breaking down and buying snow pants since my double layers of Uniqlo heattech long underwear along with jeans, turtleneck, sweatshirt, vest, super heavy coat, wool socks, insulated boots, hat and gloves along with hot hands in my shoes and gloves has not been getting the job done. In case anyone has forgotten, I hate the cold. I despise it, loathe it, detest it. I cannot put on enough layers to get warm.

Jason, on the other hand, has been walking around with his coat unzipped telling me the weather is "invigorating."  I would slap him if  I was only able to move. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately - I must ponder this and decide how I really feel - my Michelin Man layers prevent me from raising my arm and swinging it forward to slap him. My frozen tears of misery and ugly glares will have to suffice instead.

Igor and I are kindred spirits on the weather. He has only emerged from the heated office of the barn once over the last three days, and almost immediately began screaming to be let back in. He has yet to put one paw in the snow and appears to have no plans to interact with the snow. Ewen is hyper in all weather so it is hard to say if he finds this weather invigorating like Jason. Bring on summer, I'm ready.

Igor glaring at the snow, or maybe at the world in general, during his two minute jaunt outside. He sat on the porch of the front barn and looked like this, then screamed until I opened the door and let him back into the heated office. 

I don't know if Ewen finds the snow and cold invigorating or not. He runs around like a maniac in all weather so it is hard to tell.


Cisco and Hemi playing





Lofty and Cocomo giving me the "feed me"stare

Remmy and Baner

Asterik

Timbit, Sabrina and Sparky

George and Donneur

Gus and Romeo

Lofty, Silver and Cocomo

Flyer

Lofty and Donneur

Duesy

Taylor and Alfie

Fabrizzio and Merlin

Hesse

Digby and Paramount

Mick and Blu

 Quigly and Sebastian

Roho and Squirrel

Thomas, Apollo and Hemi

King

Roho and Rubrico

Renatta and Dolly

Charlotte

Lily

Norman and Dawn

Maisie

MyLight, Calimba, Traveller and Dolly

Renatta and Cinnamon . . . 

. . . a closer look at Renatta

Chance and Trigger

Rocky and Roho

Rubrico

Gus

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

That is snow for sure. Poor cats, ours hated the one time we had snow here, YES, just once. Your horses look so cosy in their covers, and yummy food on tap, a charmed life full of care and love.

RuckusButt said...

Great photos! All of the pictures of horses at the hay look like they are laughing and joyful at their bounty of lovely hay! Their satisfaction comes through clearly. Love it. Sorry Carter didn’t get to build his snowman though. I’m with Jason, your “winters” would be invigorating to me...unlike our winter here in Ontario this year, which has sucked the life out of me :(

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Do I hear Timbit singing 🎶nana-na-na-na-na, I-don't-have-a-blanket🎶?

Lori Skoog said...

These photos look more like the ones I would expect to see up here! It sure has been one weird winter.